Athlon

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 17 16:33:05 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 10:34:16PM +0000, Thomas Beaudry wrote:
> Nope.  Configure isn't using uname to get the system type.  For example,
> on my systems uname returns i686-unknown but configure returns
> i686-pc-linux-gnu.

half-right there.

configure script run a script called config.guess
config.guess runs uname to determin the cpu type, then config.guess will
try to compile and run a small C program to figure out if we're dealing
with linux-gnu or something else. Then config.guess outputs a combined
result of uname and that c program's result which configure will display
to you as i686-pc-linux-gnu

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org