No login prompt at boot LFS

Tim tim at momentumgroup.ca
Tue Jul 17 17:59:54 PDT 2001

> My problem: I installed everything (at last!) and wanted to reboot in the
> newly created LFS system. Everything is looking good here...
> All status messages give [ OK ] so that's good, entering runlevel 3 etc, but
> after the message "Starting kernel log daemon [OK]" I get nothing; a prompt
> where you can type something but no login or bash prompt, so the system is
> useless this way. After a minute or so I get the followin message:
>
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

I had a similar problem to this yesterday (I got the same messages). My
issue was that I was using the lfs-commands and I was in a hurry and
didn't edit the one that created my /etc/fstab file. Needless to say, my
machine was quite messed up when my fstab file had references to
/dev/<LFS-partition designation> in it.

Tim

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org