ttys errors

Thomas Beaudry k8la at arrl.net
Tue Jul 17 19:41:32 PDT 2001

Two possibilities that I can think of offhand:

1.  Your serial ports are plug n pray but you didn't compile pnp
initialization into the kernel.  Use isapnp to set them up.

2.  You didn't compile autodetection of serial port interupts into the
kernel (as they recommended). You'll need to use setserial to initialize
them.

On 7/17/01, 10:26:45 PM, Shaun ONeil <shaun at madhouse69.fsnet.co.uk> wrote
regarding ttys errors:

> I hope this hasn't been asked before .. but I've finally got my LFS
> system running .. I was so happy you couldn't believe .. but nothing
> can open my serial ports, /dev/ttys{0,1} :(  X says:

> (EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/ttys0
>         Input/output error.

> wvdial has a similar complaint on ttys1, and I tried echo blah
> >/dev/ttys0 with the same complaint, so I'm pretty sure it's the
> devices, not the programs.

> I'm sure there's a really obvious solution, but I can't find it. X is
> a luxury, I haven't used it for months .. but getting the modem
> working would be very useful :)

> Any suggestions?

> TIA, Shaun.

96648846 ]-