agetty and login

Claudio Nieder private at claudio.ch
Wed Jul 18 04:40:42 PDT 2001

Hi,

> rm /var/run/utmp
> touch /var/run/utmp

I did yet another approach to the whole /var/run thing. On my LFS
with kernel 2.4.x (currently x=6) I use tmpfs for those directories
who do not need to be preserved across boots. In /etc/fstab I have

  tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
  tmpfs /var/lock tmpfs defaults 0 0
  tmpfs /var/run tmpfs defaults 0 0

So there is no need to clean up left-over pid-files in /var/run etc.
after a reboot.

Then in my startup file run by init during sysinit I have:

  touch /var/run/utmp
  chmod 644 /var/run/utmp

which creates an empty utmp.

				claudio
--
Claudio Nieder, Kanalweg 1, CH-8610 Uster, Tel +41 79 357 6743
yahoo messenger: claudionieder aim: claudionieder icq:42315212
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org