No login prompt at boot LFS

Daan Bekkers sundevil at home.nl
Wed Jul 18 09:00:45 PDT 2001

Hi there,

I'm doing the LFS project as a school project. I took book 2.2.4 as a
guideline, however I had to change some (minor) things to get everything
compiled. I will not bother you with all the versions. Most of it is book
2.4.4 package version. The kernel I used is the 2.4.6.

My problem: I installed everything (at last!) and wanted to reboot in the
newly created LFS system. Everything is looking good here...
All status messages give [ OK ] so that's good, entering runlevel 3 etc, but
after the message "Starting kernel log daemon [OK]" I get nothing; a prompt
where you can type something but no login or bash prompt, so the system is
useless this way. After a minute or so I get the followin message:

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

When I hit ctrl-alt-del the system reboots nicely (changing runlevel,
halting etc.), so THIS works fine. After some searching what I did wrong I
came up with the fact that I didn't compile all the packages, while
chrooted, with the /proc mounted, so for example the login program didn't
work in chroot. Compiling the packages I found necessary (incl. kernel) did
the trick (login and uptime for example work fine now in chroot). Oh and I
use shadow passwords and set only root as user with password...

Does anybody know what the problem is here??? I ran out of resources ;-)

Greets,

Daan