No login prompt at boot LFS

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Jul 18 11:32:02 PDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 06:00:45PM +0200, Daan Bekkers wrote:
> INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
> INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

They are caused by these lines from your $LFS/etc/inittab file:
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 9600
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty4 9600
5:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty5 9600
6:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty6 9600

What happens here, if agetty exists on one of the terminals, init
respawns it (this has the effect of you getting a new login prompt after
you logout). But what happens now is that /sbin/agetty can't be executed
for some reason (init doesn't do proper error checking here, it just
tries to execute the command and it doesn't work so it exits, init will
try to respawn it immediately until it respawned too many time within a
few seconds).

Usually it's a matter of a typo on your end. Perhaps you didn't write
the file properly, or /sbin/agetty doesn't exist. The easiest way to
quickly find out what is going on is typing this at the LILO prompt:
	lfskernel init=/bin/bash

This will use 'bash' as the first program, and not sysvinit. Then at the
bash prompt type this: /sbin/agetty tty1 9600
If it doesn't work, bash should give you a meaningful error which
hopefully is clear enough for you to fix the problem. If not, let us
know what bash tells you and we'll take it from there.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org