Weeding

Paul Campbell paul at cmm.uklinux.net
Wed Jul 18 13:28:51 PDT 2001

Having, as per my last message, got X11 to compile, I am left with an LFS
drive containing 975Mb of stuff.  Was 440Mb before X11.

This is larger than my real mandrake hosts root drive and it's very fat, and
heavily installed.

The only thing I haven't deleted in the source tree for X11 as I want to make
sure nothing is required from there durnig QT, truetype libraries and window
manager compiles.  Everything else, bar the kernel source has been removed
from /usr/src and /usr/src/sources.  Everything elsewhere has been left as
installed.

I need to do some weeding, removing the internationalisation stuff from X11
etc would be a start.  Also I read about Stripping the debug symbols from the
binaries, but I can't remember where I read it, or how to do it.

Does anyone have an strategies I can use to remove around 300Mb of unused
weeds that are not required by my system.

--
Paul Campbell
http://www.cmm.uklinux.net/
paul at cmm.uklinux.net