Change tar bz2 option from -y to -j

Timothy C.Klein teece at silverklein.net
Wed Jul 18 22:46:12 PDT 2001

On Wednesday 18 July 2001 03:43 pm, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
> Yah, me too...I think most distribtuions have it hacked to y anyway
> right?
>
> Scot

Debian has always had it as -j, but only in unstable.  (The option doesn't
exist in stable).  I was a little bit surprised by the -y in the LFS tar,
but I actually like it better.  -y -z are right next to each other in the
alphabet, and they do a very similar thing ;)  But I would rather stick with
whatever becomes the standard.

I already ran into portability problems in my scripts, because they would run
on Debian for some stuff (before LFS is up) and on LFS for the rest.  Thus,
in my scripts, I had to use --bzip2 as the option to have it work in both.

So I think it would be wise to go with the standard.  Not good to introduce
portability problems.

Tim

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org