your mail

Thomas Beaudry k8la at arrl.net
Thu Jul 19 05:27:11 PDT 2001

> Misquoted from supers at oceanfree.net on 2001/07/19 at 04:47 +0000:
> > hi all
> > i got problem compiling proftpd with those error msg
> >
> > gcc  -DLINUX  -I.. -I../include  -O2 -Wall -DUSESHADOW -c main.c
> > main.c:2275:1: directives may not be used inside a macro argument
> > main.c:2275:1: unterminated argument list invoking macro "printf"
> > main.c: In function `show_usage':
> > main.c:2276: parse error before string constant
> > make[1]: *** [main.o] Error 1
> > make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/add/proftpd-1.2.1/src'
> > make: *** [src] Error 2
> >
> > anybody could help me pls
> >
> Yes, get rid of gcc-3.0

Or you could look at the problem and realize that the source code doesn't
comply to the current standard enforced by gcc-3.0.

Thus the solution becomes:

	make CFLAGS=-std=gnu89

This relaxes the standards enforcement to the same as gcc-2.95.x.

If you want to fix the code instead, rearrange the 'show_usage' function
in main.c so that it doesn't contain any #ifdef statements inside of the
printf call.
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org