Change tar bz2 option from -y to -j

Matthias Benkmann haferfrost at web.de
Thu Jul 19 10:00:20 PDT 2001

On 18 Jul 2001, at 23:46, Timothy C.Klein wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 July 2001 03:43 pm, Scot Mc Pherson wrote:
> > Yah, me too...I think most distribtuions have it hacked to y anyway
> > right?
> >
> > Scot
>
> Debian has always had it as -j, but only in unstable.  (The option doesn't
> exist in stable).  I was a little bit surprised by the -y in the LFS tar,
> but I actually like it better.  -y -z are right next to each other in the
> alphabet, and they do a very similar thing ;)  But I would rather stick
> with whatever becomes the standard.

What I'd like to see is auto-detection. A simple extension-based auto-
detection would be enough to make me happy, although checking the input
stream itself would be better as it would allow using auto-detection on
stdinput.

MSB

p.s.: Someone asked where the conflict of y for bzip2 is. I found the
following in the tar source:

| Parse the options for tar.  |

/* Available option letters are DEHIJQY and aejnqy.  Some are reserved:

   y  per-file gzip compression
   Y  per-block gzip compression */

----
Join the Army, meet interesting people, kill them.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org