Lilo Issues

Andre Wyrwa a.wyrwa at web.de
Sat Jul 21 20:19:40 PDT 2001

> Is it just as simple as editing the LFS /etc/fstab file and mounting /boot
> to /dev/hda1, if so what do I do with the current /boot?

I guess it should.

> Also if, when booted into LFS, I run lilo, I get:
>
> Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.
> Use of the 'lba32' option may help on newer (EDD BIOS) systems.
> Fatal: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (7300 > 1023)

Seems like you're using an old lilo. Older lilos had the limitation that
the kernel-image had to be within the first 1024 cylinders of your
drive.
For this reason I created a seperate tiny /boot-partition, which has
some other advantages, too.

Look at your lilo-version number and update it if its lower than 21.7 .
I think the change was somewhere around 21.5 or 21.6

André.
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org