Lilo Issues

Randy Hron rwhron at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 21 20:57:02 PDT 2001

On Saturday 21 July 2001 19:08, you wrote:
> Basically I want just 1 /boot for both systems for now
> (I have no intention of doing anything with the RH install but I don't want
> to get rid of it just yet as networking works and I can copy files over to
> the linux machine as I installed samba on it)
>
> Is it just as simple as editing the LFS /etc/fstab file and mounting /boot
> to /dev/hda1, if so what do I do with the current /boot?

Setting "root=/dev/xyz123" will let you boot an alternate  root filesystem.

> Also if, when booted into LFS, I run lilo, I get:
>
> Warning: device 0x0345 exceeds 1024 cylinder limit.
> Use of the 'lba32' option may help on newer (EDD BIOS) systems.
> Fatal: geo_comp_addr: Cylinder number is too big (7300 > 1023)

The lilo parameter "lba32" in the top of lilo.conf should help.

I have a similar setup to what you have (of course our partitions
have different names, so you cannot use this lilo.conf.  But it may
be helpful:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=250
# message=/boot/message
default=lfs
lba32
#vga=0xa
# 1280x1024x24 vesafb
#vga=0x31B
vga=0x30C
append="idebus=66 ide0=autotune ide1=autotune hda=autotune hdc=autotune"

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.5-10
        label=linux-71
        read-only
        root=/dev/hda7