ch06-reiserfsprogs.html

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Sun Jul 22 09:26:55 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 22, 2001 at 01:14:55PM -0300, Guillermo Pereyra Irujo wrote:
> I can write ch06-reiserfsprogs.html if you agree, but I would like to know
> first if it will be welcome :)

First of, the book's primary format is not HTML, but XML. So you'd have
to write the proper xml files to do this, else it'll just be double work
for us (then you may as well write in plain text).

But whether or not to add it: vim can be seen as an optional package,
but a system without an editor is something you almost never see. So we
chose one editor and if you don't like it, change it. The same could be
said for the file systems. We've decided on a default ext2 because we
can't add every option like jfs, xfs, nfs and what not.

Now, what I think is a slightly better option is that when you get to
the e2fsprogs installation we add a note that if you want a different
file system like reiserfs, head over to the lfs-hints archive and read
the reiserfs hint. This would be exactly the same like we do with vim:
add a note that there are alternatives and the hint deals with them.

How does that sound for a compromise?

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org