Configuring PPP

didbaba didbaba at free.fr
Mon Jul 23 02:07:12 PDT 2001

Why do you respond to me directly and not using the list ? wrong manipulation ?

* le dim 22 jui, 2001 à 08:11:39 -0300, Daniel Tiziani Silva (dtiziani at mpc.com.br) écrivait:
> sorry about sending this post to the list, I'm really sorry.
> anyway, don't you have it in english?
> It's unreadable for me (that's my fault, sorry :D)

No problem, there is a list for that, subscribe to it : lfs-apps at linuxfromscratch.org
four days ago someone ask exactly the same question.

lfs-discuss is reserved for thing inside the book, and ppp is not inside the lfs book :)
But it will be in "Beyond LFS".

> Thanks for supporting me.

So you can't read french... But the instruction are written in computer langage.
A quick summary
after compiling pppd
and have the correct option in the kernel,
you add some lines to /etc/modules.conf

After that the configuration :
change login_isp password_isp dns1_isp dns2_isp domain_isp tel_isp with the corresponding one.

The file "options" and "chat" change if you have a diiferent modem but try mine is USRsportser message +
No need to use wdialout

	"/etc/ppp/options"
lock
ttyS0 115200 crtscts
noauth
defaultroute

	"/etc/ppp/pap-secrets"
# Secrets for authentication using PAP
# client server secret IP addresses
login_isp * password_isp

chown 600 /etc/ppp/pap-secrets

mkdir /etc/ppp/chat

"/etc/ppp/chat/connexion.free"
'ABORT' 'BUSY'
'ABORT' 'ERROR'
'ABORT' 'NO CARRIER'
'ABORT' 'NO DIALTONE'
'ABORT' 'Invalid Login'
'ABORT' 'Login incorrect'
'' 'ATZ'
'OK' 'ATM1L1'
'OK' 'ATDTtel_isp'
'CONNECT' ''
'TIMEOUT' '5'
'~--' ''

mkdir /etc/ppp/peers
"/etc/ppp/peers/connexion.free"
connect '/usr/sbin/chat -v -f /etc/ppp/chat/connexion.free'
user login_isp

"/etc/resolv.conf"
domain_isp
nameserver dns1_isp
nameserver dns2_isp

"/usr/bin/pppon"
#!/bin/bash
# script /usr/bin/pppon
/usr/sbin/pppd call connexion.free
# fin

"/usr/bin/pppoff"
#!/bin/bash
# script /usr/bin/pppoff
kill `cat /var/run/ppp*.pid
# fin

chmod 750 pppon pppoff
chmod 550 pppd
chown root:dialout /usr/bin/pppo* /usr/sbin/pppd
chown -R root:dialout /etc/ppp/*

<!--PPPD doit il etre suid ???-->

Hope this could help