nearly crying :-((

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 24 08:33:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 24, 2001 at 12:32:40PM +0200, Clemens Kirchgatterer wrote:
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
> checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... (cached)
> yes

This is normal.

> checking whether we are using GNU C... no

Seth, can you add this to the FAQ? Thanks

The first thing to check when a configure script says that you're not
using GNU C, is if /usr/bin/egrep exists inside chroot. And if it
exists, if you can execute it (just run /usr/bin/egrep and see if it
errors or not). Every configure script that specifically checks for GNU
C, uses egrep to determin that. It compiles a small test program and
uses egrep to parse the output of that C program.

Now, of course the problem can be gcc related too, but first check for
egrep. configure won't complain about "egrep: no such file or directory"
so you won't find out from log files or configure output that it
couldn't run egrep. Nasty little configure quirck.

> I have no name!:~/compile-dynamic$ echo "int main(int argc, char **argv)
> {return (0);}" > test.c
> I have no name!:~/compile-dynamic$ gcc test.c
> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec `cpp0': No such file or directory
> if change PATH to contain cpp0, ld will complain about a missing crt1.o,
> what is ok since glibc is not installed so far!

cpp0 isn't supposed to be in the patch; gcc has it's location
hard-coded. It should be in:
$LFS/usr/lib/gcc-lib/<target>/<version>/cpp0

Check if it's there. If not, then gcc was probably not compiled properly
in chapter 5. Did you by accident pass --prefix=$LFS/usr to gcc's
configure (instead of --prefix=/usr)?

> my first installation went flawlessly, i don't know what is different
> now, except i don't use a mounted partition now but only a directory.

That shouldn't matter.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org