trouble with xfree on dell inspiron

Jean-Pierre Schwickerath lists at schwicky.net
Tue Jul 24 23:28:42 PDT 2001

On Tue, 24 Jul 2001 22:38:03 +0200, DrJekyll said:

> Hi
>
>  My problem: On my Dell Inspiron 8000 Professional with GeForce2Go I have
>  compiled Xfree86-4.1.0 on my LFS3.0-pre4 without any errors, using the 2.4.6
>  kernel. I downloaded the latest drivers provided on the nvidia homepage and
>  installed them, without any errors. I changed the XF86Config-4 file like the
>  nvidia homepage says, but when I am trying to start X he breaks with an
>  error about that he is not able to initialize the nvdriver kernel module. I
>  attached my XF86Config-4 file and the XFree86.0.log-file for you, so you can
>  see the exact error message.

Seems the kernel module can't indeed be loaded.
Do you have
alias char-major-195 NVdriver
in /etc/modules.conf
?

If it doesn't work try doing
modprobe NVdriver on the console and look at the output.
Does it work? if yes, try to launch Xfree now.

Jean-Pierre

--
Jean-Pierre Schwickerath - Powered by GNU/LinuX!
E-Mail: lists at schwicky.net - http://schwicky.net

Nothing's impossible... Everything is relative!

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org