trouble with xfree on dell inspiron

J_Man jeremy at linux-phreak.net
Tue Jul 24 15:37:21 PDT 2001

One weird little quirk I found with the NVidia drivers when I tried to install them yesterday was that the kernel module install will not go on properly if modules.conf or conf.modules is not present in /etc.  This is because the installation script looks for the presence of one of these two files to determine where to put the alias line.  If neither are present, instead of just creating one, it chokes and does nothing...my solution was to "touch modules.conf" and re-installing - it then worked great, except with KDE, which is another story :)

Hope this info helps!

J_Man