trouble with xfree on dell inspiron

Florin Boariu florin at bnv-bamberg.de
Tue Jul 24 15:58:26 PDT 2001

See the actual error line:

Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration

I had the same problem on my ibook, and I found out that the X server was
looking for /dev/fb0, and I had /dev/fb/0 due to devfs. Setting the
FRAMEBUFFER environment variable didn't help. I patched the X sources (I
don't recall the exact file -- somewhere inside the framebuffer device),
but a simple

ln -s /dev/fb/0 /dev/fb0

should do it. That is, if you have the same problem... You're likely to
have the same problem if you installed devfs, unless you are running
devfsd with compatibility option turned on.

regards,
florin.

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org