Still trouble with xfree on dell inspiron

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 25 14:48:01 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "DrJekyll" <DrJekyll at web.de>
To: <lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Wednesday, July 25, 2001 9:03 PM
Subject: Still trouble with xfree on dell inspiron

> Hi
>
> Thank you for your many tips. I checked them all. Here are my results:
>
> grep NVdriver /etc/modules.conf gives:
> alias char-major-195 NVdriver
>
> modprobe NVdriver
> ls -l /dev/nv* gives:
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     195,   0 Jul 21 04:07 /dev/nvidia0
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     195,   1 Jul 21 04:07 /dev/nvidia1
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     195,   2 Jul 21 04:07 /dev/nvidia2
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     195,   3 Jul 21 04:07 /dev/nvidia3
> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root     195, 255 Jul 21 04:07 /dev/nvidiactl
>
> /dev/fb0 is present
>
> modules.conf is present, too, and the line "alias char-major-195 NVdriver"
> is included.
> But I still got the same error. I attached my XF86Config-4 and the latest
> again XFree86.0.log file. But that file seems to be not complete. The
> following lines are missing in that file:
>
> XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
>      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining
>
> Maybe this could help a bit.
>
> Thank you again for your help
>
> Frank

Do you have these kernel options enabled (either as modules or statically)
- mtrr
- agpgart
- dri with nvidia
Make sure you do, reboot and run depmod -ae
If that doesn't work (or you've allready tried it), try a basic
configuration (depth 8, resolution 800x600) with the "nv" driver instead of
the "nvidia" driver. If that fails too you could try the "vesa" driver
(should work always) or the "fbdev" driver. Also try enabling/disabling dri.
If these don't work, your X is
probably broken. Sorry, can't think of anything else that would work.
Hope this helps though

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org