/dev/mouse and other devices

Florin Oprina oprina at student.uit.no
Wed Jul 25 15:55:21 PDT 2001

Right. I obviously meant to type /dev/dsp, NOT /dev/dsc! :))

Ok, I get the ideea that /dev/mouse is a symlink to smth else, in my
case it should be to the serial port. But I don't have /dev/ttyS0. but
how do I create it?

> /dev/mouse is usually a symlink to the actual port the mouse is on.
For example, assuming you have a PS/2 mouse, the following command will
create the mouse entry:

> ln -s /dev/psaux /dev/mouse
>
> and for a serial mouse on COM1:
>
> ln -s /dev/ttyS0 /dev/mouse
>
> as for /dev/audio, that's a Sun-specific entry.  Most audio functions
on i386 are accessed via /dev/dsp* and /dev/mixer*.  I've never myself
heard of /dev/dsc :(