root password

Martin LORANG martin.lorang at laposte.net
Thu Jul 26 13:08:41 PDT 2001

> > > Did you ever exit chroot and re-enter is after Glibc was intalled, and
> > > then again after bash was installed?
> >
> > Yes ! At each step...
> > If I delete /etc/nsswitch I get the right prompt and I can change
> > root's password.
>
> Strange. What does your /etc/nsswitch.conf file look like?

I have this problem since I tried out LFS the 1st time
(lfs-200106029 if I remember)
and on all the versions I tried after.
This afternoon I have made the changes from lfs-200107022
to lfs-200107025.
automake-1.4-p5
file-3.36
util-linux-2.11h
and... and... and it works for the root password :-)

but now the boot process hangs :-( after the loadkey script
I get the following messages
                                                  [  OK  ]
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc 3"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty1 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty2 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty3 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty5 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty4 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty6 9600"
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty1 9600"
:
:
and so on about 30 times
:
:
INIT: Id "1" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" resawning too fast : disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

after 5 minutes I get the same messages again
if I press Ctrl-Alt-Del I get the following message
INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a now"

The only possibility : power off
the script rc, the binaries agetty and shutdown are in
the right directories.

What's now the problem ?

Martin

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org