I have no name and I must scream

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Jul 27 07:15:27 PDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 10:02:11AM -0400, Kevan Shea wrote:

> > Does your host distribution (the one you started building from) use
> > Glibc-2.0? If so you have to copy the libnss files from the host
> > distribution to the LFS system. Instructions are provided in the
> > book.
>
> Nope I'm using Glibc-2.2.3 (Slackware 8).  I copied the libnss files
> over anyways (I was thinking glibc-2.* not glibc-2.0.*) would that
> have caused an issue?

Glibc would have replaced the files when you installed your glibc
version.

Are you installing Glibc-2.2.1 on LFS or a newer one like 2.2.3 that
slackware uses too? If not, try compiling glibc-2.2.3 (use the
installation instructions from the CVS version of the book) and see if
bash works better with that. Downgrading to a slightly older Glibc
version may have caused bash to 'misbehave' if you will. Yes, even a
static binary still depends on the shared libnss files to obtain the
location of the password database (ie: /etc/passwd) among other
functions

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org