Boot of LFS hangs

Martin LORANG martin.lorang at laposte.net
Fri Jul 27 12:35:02 PDT 2001

hi,

>> INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
>> INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc 3"
>> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty1 9600"
>> INIT: cannot execute "/sbin/agetty tty2 9600"

> Check the permissions on the /etc/init.d/rc script (that is, make sure
> you check the one on $LFS if you are going to check this outside of the
> chroot'ed environment). Make sure the owner of the file (should be root)
> is able to execute it.
That's OK

> If so, then boot LFS by entering this at the LILO: prompt:
> lfskernel init=/bin/bash

> then start "/etc/init.d/rcS" yourself, afterwhich you should run
here I get a message about the clock :
Setting clock... modprobe: modprobe: Can't locate module char-major-10-135

> "/etc/init.d/rc 3". This way you may get more errors indicating why init
> wasn't able to start the rc script.
the script starts. I get a message about syslogd :
syslogd: unknown priority name "* -/var/log/auth.log"
here's my syslog.conf file
    auth,authpriv.* -/var/log/auth.log
    *.*;auth,authpriv.none -/var/log/sys.log
    daemon.* -/var/log/daemon.log
    kern.* -/var/log/kern.log
    mail.* -/var/log/mail.log
    user.* -/var/log/user.log
    *.emerg *

after I start "/sbin/agetty tty1 9600", I get the login prompt
and I can play with the root user.

After a "normal" restart of LFS, I get the same messages :
INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc 3"
:
:

any other advise ?