Boot of LFS hangs

Martin LORANG martin.lorang at laposte.net
Sat Jul 28 14:00:09 PDT 2001

From: "Gerard Beekmans" <gerard at linuxfromscratch.org>
To: <lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Friday, July 27, 2001 11:27 PM
Subject: Re: Boot of LFS hangs

> On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 03:20:27PM -0600, junk at if.rmci.net wrote:
> > INIT: cannot execute "/etc/init.d/rc 3"
> >                                    /\  space between rc and 3?
> > shouldn't it be rc3 as opposed to rc 3   ...
> >
> > Probably just been up too late
>
> You're up late.
>
> the script name is 'rc' and '3' is a parameter to the rc script telling
> to which run level to switch.

Hi,

all my problems with the root password, the fstab, inittab,
syslog.conf, nsswitch.conf files, hang up at boot time came
from one thing : Advanced Text Editor : the editor I used
to write the scripts and the files.
Today i began from scratch and used the Text editor
from KDE 2 and all the things were right. To be sure, I began from
scratch a 2nd time using the advanced text editor and I ran in
exactely the same problems. The 3rd time with the Text editor,
all the things were OK.
So I don't know where the problem is with the advanced text
editor but the LFS scripts and files don't work correctely with it.
I have seen one thing : a file saved with the advanced text editor is
one (1) byte shorter as the same text file saved with
the text editor...

OK, now I'm happy.
The show must go on (Xfree, KDE, OpenOffice...)

Martin

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org