tmp directories.

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 00:10:29 PDT 2001

> It was originally about house keeping and temp directories, and how they
> should be treated, so I thought it was a valid lfs-discuss topic.
>
> > You shouldn't have to delete these directories between invocations, but
> > it doesn't hurt either.
>
> Yea, but when things go wrong, it remembers bad things in these so I have
> deleted them by hand.
>
> > KDE should only take a few seconds to come up--about 10 or so on my
> > 667MHz P3.
>
> In usual running it takes around 10 to 15 seconds, my heavily installed
> mandrake sys could take nearly a minute, so it's an improvement.  When
broken
> though it can take minutes, or just not make it at all.  Took 1 minute to
> empty the swap file at shutdown the last time it done it.
>
> > How much memeory does your system think you have?
> 128Mb + 128Mb(swap)
> > What type of processor/speed?
> intel.celeron-coppermine 600Mhz
>
> > One suggestion is to compile your software with the
> > default optimizations until you have a decently running system.  Then go
> > back and experiment with different optimization switches.
>
> I only did -O3 -march=i686 -mcpu=i686, else suggested otherwise in hints
or
> INSTALLs.
>

> > Another thought.  If you run startx without an .xinitrc file, you will
> > come up in twm, not kde.  If you do that, how long does it take for
> > X11/twm to come up?
>
> About 2 seconds, less if it's the second or third run and X is cached.
>
> Mouse still locks from time to time.  I have a cheap imps/2 wheel mouse, a
> voodoo3,3000.16mb (tdfx drivers are compiled with kernel and Xfree) and
not
> much else special.
>

> >   -- Bruce
> --

A suggestion I found on the list: mount tmp as tmpfs. This makes it use
system memory, and thus is cleared every reboot. Add the following line to
/etc/fstab:
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0
Now rm -rf tmp/*.* && mount /tmp. It works for me. You have to be carefull
with apps writing lots of stuff to /tmp (like gimp) and configure them to
use ~/tmp, or else you'll quickly run out of memory and swap.
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org