Ethernet Card (Genius GF 100TXRII 'RealTek rtl8139' ) Pleeeeease help

Jeroen Coumans jeroencoumans at hotmail.com
Sun Jul 29 23:15:01 PDT 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "MrGuest at SaudiABM" <info at saudiabm.com>
To: <lfs-discuss at linuxfromscratch.org>
Sent: Sunday, July 29, 2001 9:48 PM
Subject: RE: Re:Ethernet Card (Genius GF 100TXRII 'RealTek rtl8139' )
Pleeeeease help

> Guys I will lose my main from my Ethernet Card
>
> 1 - I recompile my kernel and I add realtek but I got the same message :
> but I got :
> root# ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
> SIOCSIFADDR : no such device
> eth0: unknown interface: no such device
> SIOCSIFNETMASK: no such device
> eth0: unknown interface: no such device
>

> 2 - I add the following line to /etc/modules.conf
>  alias eth0 rtl8139
> and then I did run  depmod -ae
>
> but this give me a lot of line ... but nothing!!
>

> Please please help me
>
> Note: I HOW-To in http://www.linuxdoc.org but the ethernet-card-HOW-TO
just
> tell you how to know the name of your card
What does 'modprobe rtl8139' say? If this fails, you got the wrong module.
But if it loads, and you still can't get your network-interface up, you
should look at the logs (/var/log/sys.log) and try to find out what went
wrong, or copy&paste their output and send m over. There are two modules for
the rtl8139, btw. The other one's called rtl8139too. Maybe this one works?
(don't forget to adjust /etc/modules.conf appropriately).

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org