tmp directories.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Mon Jul 30 16:56:09 PDT 2001

On Sun, Jul 29, 2001 at 08:10:20AM +0100, Paul Campbell wrote:
> It was originally about house keeping and temp directories, and how they
> should be treated, so I thought it was a valid lfs-discuss topic.

It's a valid topic. The /tmp issue can be dealt with in a lot of ways
actually, that's a reason why the book doesn't touch the subject. We
just create /tmp and leave it by that. This may be a good addition for
the BLFS project (Beyond LFS) at beyond.linuxfromscratch.org. Drop a
note to blfs-book at linuxfromscratch.org (you don't have to be subscribed
to the list in order to post to it if you feel like it.

A few ways to implement 'tmp housekeeping' are:

1) create a dedicated /tmp partition (linuxfromscratch.org has one of
those) say around 100 MB should be enough for day-to-day use.

2) create a ramdisk of some size. This'll of course come with RAM
penalty and if you dont have much of it, it'll be a waste. There's a new
virtual file system in the kernel called tmpfs (or something) that grows
and shrinks as you need more space (up to a maximum of course). That way
you don't loose a fixed amount of RAM to it.

The nice thing about option #2 is that it's contents is removed on every
reboot (or unmount) so it doesn't require any tmpwatch or boot script.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org