shutdown problem

Fergus Belford fbmail at ozemail.com.au
Mon Jul 30 22:08:41 PDT 2001

On Mon, 30 Jul 2001, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> First let me explain why you are asked for a password. They are caused
> by what we call fall-through entries in /etc/inittab. The order in which
> run level actions appear in /etc/inittab matters. Here are the entries
> for run levels 0 and 6:
>
> 	l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
> 	l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6
> 	<cut some others>
> 	ft:06:respawn:/sbin/sulogin
>
> When you reboot or halt, init will run "rc 0" or "rc 6" first. Those two
> run levels have S999reboot and S999halt scripts which reboot the system,
> causing the ft:06:respawn:/sbin/sulogin line never to be reached.
>
> But if S999reboot or S999halt aren't executed, init will read the next
> available line and run sulogin.
>
> So for starters, make sure /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot is a valid symlink. Run
> "file /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot" and it will tell you if the link is valid
> or not (if not, it'll tell you that it's a broken symlink. If it is
> valid it'll tell you to which file it points).
>
> My guess it's not a valid symlink for some reason. If it is a valid one,
> then reboot, enter password to enter the shell and run
> /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot manually and see if there are any errors.

rc6.d/S999reboot was there:

[root at lfs root]# file /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot
/etc/rc6.d/S999reboot: symbolic link to ../init.d/reboot
[root at lfs root]#

but to make sure, deleted it and recreated the symlink.
Reboot works, but with hassle of nothing cleanly unmounted. "shutdown -r now"
gives no response at all now, just a fresh prompt. So I'm no further ahead.

By the way, I note the line " ft:06:respawn:/sbin/sulogin " you have in the
section on inittab above. Mine reads " su:S016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin " -
which is as set out in LFS Book. Does this make any difference?  Presumably
not, since it's from the book.
Here is my inittab:

# Begin /etc/inittab

id:3:initdefault:

si::sysinit:/etc/init.d/rcS

l0:0:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 0
l1:S1:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/init.d/rc 6

ca:12345:ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t1 -a -r now

su:S016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin

1:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty1 9600
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty2 9600
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/agetty tty3 9600