shutdown problem

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 31 07:08:23 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 03:08:41PM +1000, Fergus Belford wrote:
> rc6.d/S999reboot was there:
>
> [root at lfs root]# file /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot
> /etc/rc6.d/S999reboot: symbolic link to ../init.d/reboot
> [root at lfs root]#
>
> but to make sure, deleted it and recreated the symlink.
> Reboot works, but with hassle of nothing cleanly unmounted. "shutdown -r now"
> gives no response at all now, just a fresh prompt. So I'm no further ahead.

Strange. Ok add this line to the /etc/init.d/reboot script as the second
line (the first line is #!/bin/sh)

echo "Executing /etc/init.d/reboot"

run shutdown -r now and check to see if that message "Executing
/etc/init.d/reboot" shows up. If not, then your rc script is probably
not even executing it. this could mean a typo in there. Head over to
ftp.linuxfromscratch.org/bootscripts and download the proper tarball and
copy it's rc file to /etc/init.d, then try again.

> By the way, I note the line " ft:06:respawn:/sbin/sulogin " you have in the
> section on inittab above. Mine reads " su:S016:respawn:/sbin/sulogin " -
> which is as set out in LFS Book. Does this make any difference?  Presumably
> not, since it's from the book.

Sorry I was looking at the wrong inittab file here. What you have is
right.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org