rc script priority limitation

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Tue Jul 31 18:31:27 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:24:40PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> i'd like to see proper sorting so if we have:
> S50
> S100
> S5000
>
> they are executed in that order and not as S100, S50, S5000

Is that necessarily a good idea?  Methinks it would get rather confusing
if 'ls' tells you stuff gets started in one order, while the actual
sequence is something else entirely.  Mistakes are easily made this way.

I vote for the simpler approach: Just remove the serial width limitation.
Then folks can choose whatever funky numbering scheme they want
(eg. factoring startup shell scripts), secure in the knowledge that a
simple 'ls' will tell them the exact order that everything will be run.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org