about the new COL and WCOL settings

Thomas M. Beaudry k8la at arrl.net
Tue Jul 31 18:11:40 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:33:23PM -0400, Gerard Beekmans wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> The auto detect of COL and WCOL settings works fine, but I believe it
> may be better to revert back to the old state.
>
> Why?
>
> If you start with a high vga resolution, then your OK, ATTN and FAILED
> message will appear at the far right side of the screen (as expected),
> but the text leading up to it (ie: starting blah...) is probably never
> long enough to reach that far, so if you have a few ATTN's or FAILED
> mixed with OK's then it's just hard to see which line is causing the
> status message. With the old setting (COL=70, WCOL=50) this is much
> clearer when you run in a higher resolution.
>
> So, I strongly recommend changing back to the old way, but I'd like to
> hear comments from you guys first.

Wish I had that problem here...

So, how about changing it back and adding a note to the book that they
can change the line position of the status message by changing the
value of COL?

BTW, took a look at what Mandrake does on the other machine here.  First
thing they do is set for max. length of 80 characters to keep things
readable.

--
Thomas M. Beaudry K8LA / YS1ZTM
k8la at arrl.net