rc script priority limitation

Adrian Ho aho-lfs-discuss at 03s.net
Tue Jul 31 19:48:52 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:53:52PM -0500, J. Jones wrote:
> I don't agree with glob's behavior on this.  S100foo should not start
> before S50bar.  I don't see the difficultly in that.  Sure ls will
> show you the order in which glob will spew them back, but we can all
> count, right?

Sure, but can you do it right 100% of the time?  No matter what's going on
around you?  Time pressure?  AngryUsers pressure?

Also consider: It's 3am, and you're trying to figure out why your local
db script (S50ldb) always starts before your network's set up properly
(S100network).  After all, 501 > 100, right?

Dunno about you, but when I'm managing systems, I'm much more comfortable
doing "ls /etc/rc3.d/" and knowing for sure, than doing mental comparisons
and wondering whether I accidentally misordered (or misread, as in the
above example) two numbers in my head.

- Adrian
Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org