gcc compilation: signal 6

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Jul 31 12:07:09 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 08:03:30PM +0100, joint at beggar.co.uk wrote:
> No, and I'm doing this on my home PC (the only one I have). I tried recompiling a few times but I still get a signal 6. I once got a 'Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address b21deef4 [..and a bunch of numbers]. So it looks like I get random errors.
>
> I'm using Turbo Linux 6.
> Sometimes I get some error mail from PAM about something like pam_init_handlers (sorry, I don't remember the msg). I think that maybe if I disable PAM it will work? How do I do that?

This all sounds like a kernel problem. I'd start with installing a newer
kernel on your system and try again. If that's not possible or not
feasible on Turbo Linux, you may just want to install a different
distribution. Debian, Slackware, Suse, Mandrake and Redhat give good
results (others do too, these are just the most commonly used ones)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org