Mystery of glibc-2.2.*

Stefan Hoffmeister linuxfromscratch.mailinglist at Econos.de
Fri Mar 2 06:24:11 PST 2001

: On 02 Mar 2001 13:19:54 +0100, Ervin Németh wrote:

>This week I was trying to build an LSF system starting from debian potato.  I
>was surprised that glibc-2.2.2 has compiled without error.  I started to
>experiment with this new build discovering that dynamic executables compiled
>against the debian libc runtime-linked with this new libc and running under
>2.4 kernel resuled every *stat call returning with an ""Value too large for
>defined data type" error.  I think it could be successful because debian comes
>with 2.2 kernel headers.

FWIW, the glibc people seem to have introduced binary incompatibilities
into glibc - I currently know of at least one case where 2.1.3 and 2.2.1
have different structure size (somewhere in ipc).

You might want to actually compare the physical sizes of the structs.

[This is definitely not a 2.2 vs 2.4 kernel issue]

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org