bash_profile

Chris F.A. Johnson chris at home.com
Fri Mar 2 09:27:03 PST 2001

On Fri, 2 Mar 2001, Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> On March  1, 2001 05:56 pm, Jeremie Lasalle-ratelle wrote:
> > When I chroot in or boot in LFS, I get this message :
> >
> > bash: /root/.bash_profile: cannot execute binary file
> >
> > and I can't see in which directory I am, what can I do?
>
> I've seen that error once before. I've never been able to find a solution. In
> the end the other person with the problem did the following:

This is the same message you get when trying to source a binary file
instead of a shell script e.g.:

	$ source cp
	bash: source: /bin/cp: cannot execute binary file

This would lead me to believe there is a problem with .bash_profile.

Try moving it out of the way (mv ~/.bash_profile ~/.bash_profile.old)
and creating a new .bash_profile.

To begin with, just create an empty file (touch ~/.bash_profile); if that
works, try adding commands to it.

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org
	cfaj at freeshell.org	    http://members.home.net/c.f.a.johnson