problems compiling kernel

Sean Burlington sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Sun Mar 4 09:27:21 PST 2001

Hi all,
	and it was all going so well too...

but I seem to be stuck teying to compile the kernel

I wasn't really paying to much attention to make menuconfig as I figured
I'd get it working and then do some tuning later - so I hope there was
nothing there I could have done so wrong that the kernel would fail to
compile.

(and I'm still on book 2.4.3 - as I downloaded it a while ago and have
only had the odd spare bit of time to work through it)

any way here are the error messages
make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
objcopy -O binary -R .note -R .comment -S compressed/bvmlinux
compressed/bvmlinux.out
tools/build -b bbootsect bsetup compressed/bvmlinux.out CURRENT > bzImage
Root device is (22, 1)
Boot sector 512 bytes.
Setup is 1312 bytes.
System is 550 kB
sh -x ./install.sh 2.2.18 bzImage /usr/src/linux/System.map ""
+ '[' -x /sbin/installkernel ']'
+ '[' -f /vmlinuz ']'
+ mv /vmlinuz /vmlinuz.old
+ '[' -f /System.map ']'
+ mv /System.map /System.old
+ cat bzImage
+ cp /usr/src/linux/System.map /System.map
+ '[' -x /sbin/lilo ']'
+ /sbin/lilo
Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
make: *** [install] Error 2
root:/usr/src/linux#ls /boot/
.  ..  boot-menu.b  boot-text.b  boot.b  chain.b  os2_d.b  vmlinux-2.2.5-15
root:/usr/src/linux#

so I'm confused as it seems to be complaining about vmlinux-2.2.5-15
even though ls shows that it *is* there.

any help much appreciated

--

Sean

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org