problems compiling kernel

Sean Burlington sean at tincan.co.uk
Sun Mar 4 13:26:15 PST 2001

StyX wrote:

> Sean Burlington wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
>> Fatal: open /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15: No such file or directory
>> make[1]: *** [install] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot'
>> make: *** [install] Error 2
>> root:/usr/src/linux#ls /boot/
>> .  ..  boot-menu.b  boot-text.b  boot.b  chain.b  os2_d.b  vmlinux-2.2.5-15
>> root:/usr/src/linux#
>>
>> so I'm confused as it seems to be complaining about vmlinux-2.2.5-15
>> even though ls shows that it *is* there.
>>

> <SNIP>
>
> Well, it isn't there. 'make install' complains about a non-existing
> /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.5-15, you have a /boot/vmlinux-2.2.5-15. X, not Z. Try
> making a symlink, or even better, do as Mario said, do it by hand.
>
> Regards

DOH!

hadn't spotted that x-z !!!!

did it by hand though - and the compile went OK

-except now I am having problems as my LFS partion (well disk) is hdc
but my current boot partition is on hda

oh well I'll go and read the lilo docs now - and figure out whether to
set both my Redhat and LFS partions to be bootable from /dev/hda1 (seems
to make sense)

am I likely to run into any problems with this - especially if I end up
running different versions of lilo affecting the same boot partion.

Thanks for the help

--

Sean

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org