LFS-3.0pre1

Chris F.A. Johnson chris at home.com
Sun Mar 4 15:58:29 PST 2001

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, FRANCOIS Nicolas wrote:

> "Chris F.A. Johnson" a écrit :
> >
> > I have just completed the build of LFS-3.0pre1.
> >
> > Everything compiled without a hitch, apart from running out of space when
> > compiling glibc. I had to remove a good deal of the /usr/src/linux tree
> > to make room in a 750Mb partition (all other sources were deleted as soon
> > as they were compiled, and the .bz2 files are in a separate partition,
> > unpacked when needed).
> >
> > Unfortunately, when I try to boot into it, it hangs:
> >
> >         Uncompressing Linux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> >
> > Then it does nothing.
>
> There are different ways to do nothing. Does it complain with some noises, or is
> the HD active ? Is the screen blinking, or has the resolution changed between
> lilo and the boot ? Please describe the symptoms.

No noise, no blinking, no drive activity, no nothing; everything stops
dead.

> > I then copied my older kermel (2.4.0-test9) into the new partition and it
> > booted, but when I tried to login, I got:
> >
> >         Cannot change tty /dev/tty1: no such file or directory
>
> I had a similar problem after a boot. I realised that I had used the files in
> bootscripts.tar.bz2 directly to create the init files. And discovered that they
> were script files to create them with cat (sorry :-( didn't read the doc). So I
> checked my entire /etc directory. Lots of errors. After corecting them,
> everything was OK.

I copied the files from bootscripts.tar.bz2; they are fine.
The problem was that the links in /etc/rdX.d/ to /etc/init.d/ had not
been made.

But my network is unreachable.

	Chris F.A. Johnson	    bq933 at torfree.net
	c.f.a.johnson at home.com	    http://cfaj.freeshell.org