Automating kernel configuration

Thomas Krennwallner technik at e-moritz.at
Mon Mar 5 06:42:39 PST 2001

On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 07:02:09AM -0700, the boisterous Randolph S. Kahle <RandyKahle at KahleAssociates.com> wrote:
> When configuring the kernel, there are a lot of questions
> to answer!
>
> Is there a way to save the answers in a file and run
> the configuration against that?

This way, I can package the kernel source to a rpm/deb and the install 'em
with the required files.

# chdir to the kernel src
cd /usr/src/linux

# make your desired configuration thru
make config || make menuconfig || make xconfig

# save your configuration away
cp .config SAVEPATHNAME

#
# fresh linux src
#

# cp the configuration
cp SAVEPATHNAME/.config .

# this generates include/linux/autoconf.h
yes "" | make config

# this generates include/linux/version.h
make dep

now all files are here for a proper build system.

> Regards,
>
> Randy
>

> --

           E. Moritz GmbH
           Vöslauerstrasse 103a
           A-2500 Baden/Wien
  ___
_/___\     Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz dot at>
 ( ^ >     Fingerprint: 7B58 6ED2 676F 75D8 4DD1  5A83 DC68 E62F 85F3 D58F
 /   \
(__\/_)_   Phone: +43 2252 810 81 18

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org