Networking problem

Thomas Krennwallner technik at e-moritz.at
Tue Mar 6 06:59:34 PST 2001

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 09:06:06AM -0500, the boisterous arthur at linuxbox.nu <arthur at linuxbox.nu> wrote:

> What kernel are you running?  If 2.4, I believe the process has changed.
> If its 2.2 you need to put it in /etc/conf.modules.

It depends on the version of modutils, where the config file lies. I think
that version >= 2.3 supports /etc/modules.conf (a big booboo with modutils,
that prior version only understand conf.modules %-)

The kernel has "less" to do with automatic loading of modules. The kernel
only executes "modprobe xxx", if some kernel code requests it. modprobe
is the tool, that reads modules.conf and checks for stuff and then executes
insmod.

so if you run ifconfig eth0 up, ifconfig ioctls the kernel with eth0, kernel
executes modprobe eth0, modprobe reads modules.conf, checks dependencies thru
modules.dep and then runs insmod to desire the dependencies. ifconfig is now
satiesfied, cause there's now an eth0 and continues to work. Elsewhere the
cool SIOCF... blaarg comes.

And its right that the kernel needs CONFIG_MODULES=y. That's the prob with
Bruce's configuration.

> Arthur H. Johnson II
> The Linux Box
> http://www.linuxbox.nu
> arthur at linuxbox.nu
>
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Bruce Dubbs wrote:
>
> > That did not work.  I can put an explict insmod in the boot script and get it
> > to work and I can do a depmod -a -v and see that the system is scanning 3c95x,
> > but automatic loading is still not working.
> >
> > I was reading in a kernel book about kerneld being the agent for loading
> > modules.  The book talks about Linux 2.0 however.  Neither my LFS or Mandrake
> > 7.0 system has that process.  I'm wondering if it could be a kernel
> > configuration thing, but I've checked and I can't find anything.
> >
> > Do you have any other ideas?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >   -- Bruce
> >
> > Thomas Krennwallner wrote:

> > > add a line to /etc/modules.conf:
> > > alias eth0 3c95x
> > >
> > > then run "depmod -a"
> > >
> > > try this with first removing the module and then run "ifconfig eth0 up"
> > >
> > > the module should be loaded automatically.
> > >
> > > So long
> > > Krenni
> >
> > --

  ___
_/___\    Thomas Krennwallner <technik at e-moritz dot at>
 ( ^ >    Fingerprint: 7B58 6ED2 676F 75D8 4DD1  5A83 DC68 E62F 85F3 D58F
 /   \    Phone: +43 2252 810810 18
(__\/_)_

E. Moritz GmbH
office at e-moritz.at