Todo-List , stripping & optimizing

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Tue Mar 6 12:49:47 PST 2001

> Wou see, If one only takes care about optimization AFTER lfs-build is
> complete, glibc, gcc, etc , will never be compiled with optimizations!
> (I think what I am saying makes sese, doesn't it?)

Stripping debug symbols is not the same as optimization. Optimization is the
art of changing the code so that it works (presumably) faster or more
reliable on your particular computer. Stripping debug symbols is just
reclaiming some space if you don't engage in the art of bug hunting.

With optimizing packages can come a lot of grief. Unreliable code,
segmentation faults, and other problems. It's not in the best interest of the
book to 'force' this issue and has therefore been moved to an lfs-hint
instead. I'm not sure if even stripping the debug symbols are going to be
added to the book. It was just an idea I have and put on the TODO list so I
won't forget about it.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org