New problem - lilo

Mark Sobkow msobkow at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 6 21:21:11 PST 2001

I was concerned about having a problem like lilo or boot sector
corrruption, so I've tried to be careful about ensuring that both my
Mandrake 7.2 and LFS-Mandrake both use identical versions of lilo.

I'd suggest your best fix is to upgrade your Mandrake installation to use
the same version of lilo, preferably compiled with the same compiler
releases, and re-lilo.  If it's LFS that's running the older version of
lilo, you may have to do this in your chroot environment.

BTW, I've found that once you've got your core software compiled
dynamically under your LFS-variant, you can still enter the chroot
environment from the host installation to fix major screwups, providing
they're running compatible levels of glibc.  Surprisingly enough, it
doesn't seem to matter that the host is running kernel 2.2.x and
LFS-Mandrake is 2.4.2.  (Mind you, I've only had to do this a couple times
to fix some boneheaded mistakes by restoring older RPMs prior to my screwups.)

On a related note, I've found that whenever I do a major kernel upgrade in
the LFS-Mandrake (e.g. 2.4.1 to 2.4.2), I've had to boot the host in
single-user mode, copy over the latest kernel files from /custom/boot to
/boot, /custom/etc/lilo.conf to /etc/lilo.conf, and re-lilo.  Otherwise I
get a lot of disturbing messages about library versions and missing modules
when booting into the host system.

Once both variants on /boot and lilo.conf are in sync again, the messages
go away.  I'm kind of puzzled that lilo would be looking at files related
to kernels other than the one I'm booting.  Anyone know why it would seem
to be doing so?  (I'm guessing it might be because the LFS-Mandrake lilo
updated the boot sector, which is common to both environments.)

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org