Back to the roots

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 7 06:25:39 PST 2001

> 	- the description of each and every package is currently in appendices. As
> this represents half of the book, this is a big appendix! I suggest to
> create sections (intro, install, packages) instead

Can you elaborate on that? I don't think I'm catching your drift.

> 	- the repeated description of the packages is BORING... Excuse me to say
> that, but I would prefer a description why this package needs to be created
> at this stage, and what components are REALLY mandatory, than a description
> repeated three times.

A description repeated three times? What exactly are you refering to?

> 	- an discussion on the required steps (creating a partition, etc.) would
> make things clearer

The book's moving slowly towards that by adding more comments and background
information. As nobody else seems to be writing those it means I have to do
it myself so I have to try and fit it in with my other duties. It's a slow
process but one day it will be done.

> 	- I found a lot of typos while reading, I really think that running an
> automated tool over it would correct most of them, maybe that is something
> I could do?

As I'm fairly busy with getting the book's instructions working and trying
out new methods I generally don't have time to run a simple thing as a spell
checker. But it is planned for the LFS-3.0 release. Or if you want to do so,
please by my guest. Make sure though that you check the current CVS version
instead of an older version of the book.

> 	- what about an online annotation system? This would improve
> participation, like it is done for the PHP manual.

Website related things are not a priority for me at this moment, there is too
much other work to be done. However a major website redesign is awaiting and
the site will be XML based (which makes for excellent integratation of the
XML book, the xml based lfs-hints and so forth). An annotation system is
something that can always be thought about in the future. Thanks for the
suggestion though.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org