Back to the roots

Michel STEMPIN admin at com1.fr
Wed Mar 7 08:04:56 PST 2001

>> 	- the description of each and every package is currently in appendices.
As
>> this represents half of the book, this is a big appendix! I suggest to
>> create sections (intro, install, packages) instead

>Can you elaborate on that? I don't think I'm catching your drift.

Part I is the "Introduction", part II is "Installing the LFS system" and
part III are the "Appendices". I suggest part III is  the "Packages
description" and appendices are just made up of "Resources" and "Official
Download locations", maybe as part IV, but not necessarily.

>> 	- the repeated description of the packages is BORING... Excuse me to say
>> that, but I would prefer a description why this package needs to be
created
>> at this stage, and what components are REALLY mandatory, than a
description
>> repeated three times.

>A description repeated three times? What exactly are you refering to?

Let's take the "fileutils" package: the contents and description first
appear in chapter 5, then back in chapter 6, and finally in the packages
descriptions!!! Each time, it is the full description of chgrp, chmod,
chown, cp, dd, df, dir, dircolors, du, install, ln, ls, mkdir, mkfifo,
mknod, mv, rm, rmdir, sync, touch and vdir...
What about only putting it only in the packages description? This will save
my print head and some trees worldwide ;-)

--
Michel Stempin
MIS
Email: mstempin at com1.fr