LFS-3.0-pre1

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 7 17:28:21 PST 2001

On March  7, 2001 08:14 pm, Jeremie Lasalle-ratelle wrote:
> I've just finished building LFS 2.4.4 and everything is working. Now, is
> there a way to upgrade from version 2.4.4 to 3.0-pre1. (Reinstalling
> updated software like Glibc and GCC) Or do I have to build it another time?

If you want to upgrade Glibc it's best to reinstall the entire system as
programs linked against an older Glibc version may not work reliably with a
newer Glibc version.

That's one of the reasons why when Glibc is updated in the book it's a major
book release (meaning it'll change the major version number from say 2.x to
3.x). Where it's easy to upgrade from 2.something to 2.something.else, going
from 2.something to 3.something requires you reinstalling the entire system
from scratch. So much for 'just finished' eh? Once you start LFS you'll never
stop compiling ;o)

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org