Glibc, libnss and all that...

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Wed Mar 7 18:50:26 PST 2001

On March  7, 2001 03:59 pm, Jack Detrick wrote:
> I remember a while back when I was looking around on the net for this or
> that something-or-other (well, don't remember what exactly), I found a
> package called nss_db-2.2.tar.gz and it was the nss db files for glibc-2.2.
>  In the README file inside it was claimed that this was something that was
> left out of the main glibc-2.2 package (unlike earlier releases), and would
> have to be built on its own.  To add insult to injury, you also had to have
> berkeley db installed first (for whatever reason).  I have no idea where I
> got the package (i think it was somewhere on sourceforge, but recent
> searches haven't re-discovered it), but if anybody wants to take a look at
> it I think I still have the package archived on a cd with some other stuff.

I have never seen any problems so far with my glibc-2.2 installation and
libnss. The problems I described don't only apply when you have glibc-2.0 on
the host and glibc-2.2 on LFS. The exact same things happen when you have
glibc-2.0 on the host and glibc-2.1 on LFS. So whether Glibc-2.2 is missing
something in regard of the nss files or not, it doens't matter, it won't
solve the problem.

But now I do wonder what's in that nss_db-2.2.tar.gz package. I'll have to
try to remember this and investigate it some day.

by the way, berkely db's official site is http://www.sleepycat.com

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org