Idea for a new appendix

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Thu Mar 8 07:37:17 PST 2001

On Wed, 7 Mar 2001 17:24:57 -0500, Gerard Beekmans wrote [Idea for a new
appendix]:
> As we all know there can be problems installing packages. As I'm testing out
> a number of distributions I end up getting different all kinds of problems
> with packages varying on the distribution. I think it to be a good idea when
> the symptoms and fixes to these compile problems are grouped together in an
> Appendix. Rather that scribling notes under every package's installation
> instructions like "if you have this, do this to fix it but if you have this
> then do this instead", I think it may be a good idea to provide a list with
> symptoms and solutions in an appendix, grouped by package.

Why won't you group them by distribution, subgrouped per release? It will be a
lot easier for someone to trace the problem (because "I end up getting different
all kinds of problems with packages varying on the distribution") based on
his/her dist than based on the package he/she is installing. This appendix may
include a list of packages that should be installed for this distro to be able
to successfully install LFS.

Still, +1

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink