Autoloading of Modules, the Debian way.

Marc Heerdink marc_heerdink at softhome.net
Thu Mar 8 07:39:06 PST 2001

On Thu, 8 Mar 2001 09:31:00 +1100, Brett wrote [Re: Autoloading of Modules, the
Debian way.]:

> Why would you do such a thing ?
>
> It really puzzles me as to why people bother modularising things that they
> plan to load at boot.  Why not just build it in.  Modules are best suited
> for things which are only used occasionally... like iso9660 fs support, or
> perhaps smbfs.
>
> Do you have a real reason for doing this ?

Some modules don't come with the kernel. I am currently using the modules
ltmodem and au8830 and both of them can't be compiled into the kernel, but I
always need them. I load these modules from my bootscripts.

- L. Flon

Marc Heerdink
marc_heerdink at softhome.net
http://www.koelkast.net/