Stupid question.

Gerard Beekmans gerard at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Mar 9 05:53:18 PST 2001

On March  8, 2001 11:51 am, arthur at linuxbox.nu wrote:
> If I compile the static version on an i586, would anything compiled under
> this version be for i586, even thou it is compiled on an i686, or do I
> still need --target=i586-pc-linux-gnu and --host=i686-pc-linux-gnu to the
> configure scripts?

If static binaries are compiled as i586 and then transferred to a different
architecture it doesn't mean that software installed using those tools are
also compiled for i586. The static tools (gcc, uname, others) will detect
that you are on a i686 now and will compile accordingly unless you pass
options like --target=i585-linux and such.

www.linuxfromscratch.org

Unsubscribe: send email to lfs-discuss-request at linuxfromscratch.org