Single User Mode

David Turner dct25 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Mar 9 06:34:10 PST 2001

Gerard Beekmans wrote:

> There probably are other lines in inittab that tell init to start bash or
> sulogin or something like that when switching to runlevel 1.

I thought so too, but this is why I'm puzzled:

[dcturner at dct25 14:25:24 /etc] $ grep inittab -e
"^[^:]*:\([0-6sS]*1[0-6sS]*\)\?:"
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
ud::once:/sbin/update
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -h now
pf::powerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting
Down"
pr:12345:powerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown
Cancelled"

However, I read the init man page a bit more closely and found a small
paragraph which reads

> Runlevel  S  or s bring the system to single user mode and
> do not require an  /etc/initttab  file.   In  single  user
> mode, a root shell is opened on /dev/console.

This leads me to believe that it's just me being useless at setting my
boot disk up.  I will try again, and thanks for your help.

--
Dave Turner
dct25 at cam.ac.uk

"I need a new quote."